Rich whipped this up for us for Valentines Day and it was absolutely amazing, this recipe is absolutely perfect for those all important date nights or as a lovely meal for a girls night in – it’s quick, easy and affordable! This meal comes in at around £4 a head, takes about 20 minutes preparation time and 15 minutes cooking time.
Ingredients: (serves 4)
– 4 lb Mussels
– 1 Clove of Garlic, finely chopped
– 2 Shallots, finely chopped
– 15g Butter
– A Bouquet Garni of Parsley, Thyme & Bay Leaves
– A Small Glass of Dry White Wine (and a large one for the chef!)
– 120ml of Double Cream
– A Handful of Parsley Leaves
– Crusty Bread to Serve
1. Knock any debris off the shells with a sharp knife, including the fibres and hair. Put them in colander and wash them thoroughly with cold, running water. They will close with the cold water, any that remain open need to be thrown away.
2. Soften the garlic and shallots in the butter with the bouquet garni, in a large pan big enough to take all the mussels – it should only be half full.
3. Add the mussels and wine or cider, turn up the heat, then cover and steam them open in their own juices for 3-4 minutes. Give the pan a good shake every now and then.
4. Remove the bouquet garni, add the cream and chopped parsley and remove from the heat.
5. Spoon into four large warmed bowls and serve with lots of crusty bread.
The Health Benefits:
Okay, so this isn’t the healthiest of meals, but to make it a little more guilt free you can be the dafe in the knowledge that…
– Mussels are packed with fatty acids that work wonders at improving your brain functions.
– Shallots are packed with vitamins that want to do well for your skin, hair & nails.