I bet if I asked you right now, what makes you happy you would go… “ummm… well, hmmm… what makes ME happy?”
Hard question to answer right?
BUT I bet you have a rough idea what makes your family happy? Your kids – Im sure you know what makes them happy!
Not knowing what makes us happy is the equivilent to suddenly being asked what we’d like for Christmas. We don’t think about it anymore right? We answer with “oh I don’t know” or worse “you dont have to get me anything”
At some point we stopped flicking through and bookmarking the Argos catalogue at Christmas time and we also fell out of touch with what lights up our soul. Probably around the same time.
If we don’t know what makes us happy, how can we actually expect to BE happy?
In the same way that we tell people “you don’t have to get me anything at Christmas time cause I dont know what I want, we’ll just wait and see what shows up”, we tell ourselves “we can’t be happy cause we don’t know how to do that, we’ll just wait and see what shows up”
I came up with this idea after reading Lucky Bitch by Denise DT. (Great law of attraction book BTW) She does a similar exercise to find out your wants and desires when applying it to the Law of Attraction.
Being asked your wants and desires is just as loaded as asking what makes you happy as once again, we seem to have no idea cause we lost touch with ourselves!
So lets get *crystal clear* on what makes you truly happy!
I’ve included some questions to ask yourself. I *highly* recommend that you write your answers out in a journal.
Journalling really helps us to unlock thoughts and ditch overwhelm (we are mums, we have enough overwhelm to last a lifetime), whenever I journal, things always flow onto the page without me even thinking about it and I always uncover thoughts I didn’t know I had.
Here are some ESSENTIAL questions that you need to ask yourself to understand what makes you happy.
*Important* don’t get caught up in the logistics with these questions. This isn’t about “well a spa day would make me happy but I can’t do that as Im still exclusively breastfeeding” – this is about identifying what makes us happy.
- When I wake up in the morning how do I want to feel?
- What does my ideal day look like, morning to night?
- What do I need more of in my life? (Try not to say money as thats obvious – we want to understand a little deeper than that)
- What brings me genuine joy?
- When was the last time I felt true happiness? (Be specific – Why was that? What was happening?)
- What makes me unhappy?
- What do I need to stop doing to live a happier life?
- How can I add more fun into my everyday life?
- When am I the happiest version of me?
- What do I love doing?
- How can I add to my happiness?
- Who makes me the happiest?
- If tomorrow was my last day, what would I wish I’d done more of? (Sorry super morbid question but it makes you think!)
- What do I love about my life?
- What activities make me feel happy and like myself?
You don’t need to answer all these questions in one go.
If you’re new to journaling this can feel kind of daunting – I get it – so I’m gonna answer them with you to give you an idea and inspo!